Monday 10 February 2014

D2 - Macbeth


 
The first project for this year was to design a theoretical design for Macbeth in the Chandler Studio Theatre. It was really good to get back into the design swing of things after summer and it was great to start with a full design. This ran for 6 weeks and I spent about 2 of those weeks choosing between concepts, although my final design was actually the first one I came up with but I loved it and really believed I could do a lot with it and I think this feeling made me want to work as hard as I did on the project. I set my Macbeth in an old boarding school set in the modern day, twisting the characters so that the witches were the bitches and Macbeth was trying to be the popular guy in the school and Lady Macbeth was madly in love with him writing I heart Macbeth over her books and carving it onto her desk. My white card presentation didn’t go as smoothly as I was hoping, it was pointed out that I needed to have more pazaz in my presentations which is something I took a little bit to the extreme for my final presentation.

Below is a photo of my white card model for my prelim presentation.

 

Because this project was a full design process it was really good to sit through everything and realise that the more you did something the quicker you get at it, for example technical drawings, I had so many to do for this project and the more I did them the less mistakes I was making, the faster I was doing them, and the more I found myself enjoying them! I know that before I used to look at technical drawings and think ‘oh god, that’s going to take me ages’ but I honestly grew a large fondness for technical drawings and now want to learn how to become even better at them. Another thing I found really good was having a budget and coming to the conclusion during my prelim that I wouldn’t be able to afford everything I wanted and I would need to make sacrifices which is something I did for my final presentation so it would be cheaper for the production but still create the impact I wanted to create.

My final presentation for Macbeth went well, I made sure that I had enough pazaz to please my tutors and gave my costume, props, construction, and scenic hand outs in school jotters to tie in with the setting of my design and to get people in the mood which I think worked well! I know that doing presentations I get really nervous and end up talking quite fast which is something that I need to work on so that people understand everything clearly.
 
Below are photographs of my model box from my final presentation.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment