Thursday 5 June 2014

Realised Design Project


Going into this project I was very excited, it’s kind of the project that all the designers look forward to the most because it’s actually going to be created, and we nag the tutors basically every day with the question ‘when do we get out shows?!’ and then as soon as we found out time started flying! Running out of time for most things meaning blogging has come at the very end of this experience. Something very different about this module in comparison to the other is obviously the fact that you are working with a director, who has his opinions and his visions of how he sees things and you just have to hope that the both of you are sitting on the same ground. I had heard of other designers from the course talking about their first meetings with their directors and how they lasted hours so as I travelled through to Edinburgh to meet mine at the Traverse I was expecting to be sitting in that café for a while (not that I would be complaining, I’ve always wanted to look important sitting in that café!). the meeting did last a while but we only discussed the show for about 20 minutes, the rest was spent in general chat which I suppose is a good thing to do with any director you work with so you can get to know them, but it shows me that my director had very set clear ideas of what he wanted to see and how he wanted it done so I knew from the start that I would have a challenge changing things and putting my own stuff in, but I was up for that part of the journey.

Having created the concept in the first meeting I knew that what we wanted was going to be over budget, so I went to my production manager and explained what the concept was so that I could cut things before our actual concept. This was my time to get rid of some of the things that I didn’t like that was costing far too much, and surprisingly it was rather easy to say, we can’t afford this I think it should go, here’s a compromise that’s cheaper. So already things has started to move closer to what the final design would be like.

I had heard that my director isn’t very good at imagining things and as part of my research I was going to go to a Georgian house that was in Edinburgh to get inspiration and find out information about the Georgian era and the fashion that they wore. So I asked my director if he would like to come with me, and I’m very glad that he said yes, is gave the both of us an idea of what kind of things we would like to see, finding out new things about the era that we would like to incorporate and put us both on track for the kind of things that were around for wealthy families much like the family in the play.

Eventually having the real concept meeting where I was expecting it to be 4 people myself including turned out to be more because the show is so big, already I know I don’t like presentations so when more people come along that what I expected, it wasn’t too fun, but we laughed throughout the presentation and they laughed at my jokes, which not many people do. We discussed things that would need to happen with the set build and we discussed the costumes and the fact that because they are regency they can’t be altered easily meaning everything will need to be a stock. Luckily because my director works at the lyceum we had contact with their wardrobe so we felt like this wouldn’t be too big an issue.

From this point on is usually my favourite part, getting ready for the white card, making the model and technical drawings and slowly piecing everything together and going into the fine details. For the first part of this I moved through to Edinburgh as I had other commitments over Easter and so I set up camp in my mums design studio, this also meant that I could easily meet up with my director who is based in Edinburgh. I made a meeting with him for a time I knew my model would be finished to a good enough standard for him to easily imagine what this would look like and the meeting went well until he decided he wanted to add in an extra metre into the side flats, meaning I would need to remake the model, slightly annoyed but I didn’t mind, these things happen. I then moved back to Glasgow where I started remaking the model and doing everything I had done the week before again.

The process taking me up to the white card was quite a long period of time but I’m grateful of that because I had to remake my model and redo some technical drawings all of which took up quite a bit of time. I never got panicky about anything, if any disasters came up I dealt with it, my only problem I had was when I was needed to make a decision where I wanted to get the director involved, it wasn’t always the easiest thing getting in touch with him. I eventually would and then everything would get back on track again. My timing of my final had changed to being the week before which means I would have less time between my white card presentation and my final so I was making sure that I had as much work done for my final in order for me not to have to do too much work before the final.

The day of the white card presentation I am very happy with everything that I have and completely prepared! Until my director comes along and adds things in, and changes things all at the last minute leaving me unprepared for certain parts of my presentation, it was not a good feeling. The presentation itself was okay, but it could have been a lot better, I was very flustered and even though I had notes in front of me with the order of my presentation it still didn’t run smoothly. Another downside to my presentation was the fact that my director added things in half way through presentation making me look like I didn’t know what was going on, not a good look in my opinion, but you know what they say, grin and bare it, which I hope I did!

As the size of my show was so big obviously things had to be cut back and throughout the time between the white card and the final a lot of things went away, including the bed which I had been wanting to get rid of for a while, so the day that bed got taken away was a very good day! The sizes of flats were cut down as well and became a size that was suitable for stock which did mean re-doing my technical drawings and making my model, again! But I wasn’t fussed, I think one thing that I have definitely learnt is that these things happen, to be patient and not let everything get on top of you so that you’re buried underneath all your work. Remain on top of everything and you’re more likely to succeed.

the 23rd of may, the day of my final, I had planned everything that still needed to be done the night before and in all honesty I never thought I would get it all done, I had asked for a time constraints as a challenge and well I felt like it had one. Arriving in uni at 8.30 and going straight to work without a cup of tea to kick start my day was quite possibly one of the worst things about this project but I got everything done and in record time too, done by 11 which meant I could get a tea and a roll from Scottish opera and then I still had 3 hours to double check things, meet up with my director and set everything up in the room my presentation would be in.

The presentation unlike the white card felt like it went a lot smoother, I had created a PowerPoint to aid the presentation and I think that definitely helped me keep on track, and if anyone missed something I said, it was there on the screen. It also meant my costume drawings and any other references were on the screen which meant people couldn’t see my hands shake unlike the white card. Overall I think the presentation went well and I brought the design across to the best of my abilities. I had stated last year that I wanted to work on my presentation skills and my confidence levels by the time of my realised final and I feel as though I actually achieved that! The questions at the end were filing down to the details and some of the questions I have to say I was stumped, only because I didn’t understand what something would look like, but I feel we came to a reasonable conclusion. Of course the question part of the presentation is when I get to see the bits that I missed and I think I definitely should have taken a closer look at my scenic pack, my list of jobs that needed to be done were slightly wrong, but it was cleared up, everything else seemed fine. The end of the presentation gave me a weird feeling, something I had spent so many hours on was now handed over to this group of people to realise, and my model box is now sitting in construction waiting to be build, it’s a strange feeling but I kind of like it, this project has definitely made me realise I have chosen the right career.

No comments:

Post a Comment